Saturday, April 9, 2011

FOOTY!!

One of the coolest things about Australia is they have their own national sport. It's called Australian Rules Football (AFL) but it's known to everyone as "footy". After my floor started a footy tipping system, I decided to learn about it and play along. So far I've accurately tipped 8 games, but I'm getting better so the Aussies better watch out!
Footy is similar to soccer, but the ball is mostly punted or kicked to teammates, who catch and then pass it again. There are four goal posts, and to get 6 points you kick it through the two middle posts. All other goal posts are 1 point, and if it isn't kicked it's 1 point. Pretty simple, which is kind of why I like it :)
I've been watching every game on television, but my first attendance was at The Melbourne Cricket Ground April 9th, Richmond vs. Hawthorn
Seagulls would NOT leave the field--for the whole game. It was kind of funny.

Statue in front of MCG

Me in my Richmond jumper (sweater). I borrowed it from an Aussie.

Me at the MCG!

Richmond supporters

It rained ALL NIGHT. But it was still fun.

1 comment: