Friday, April 1, 2011

Fair Dinkum

Hello, marvelous few readers.

Since my last post, many things have happened. They hardly seem blog-worthy to me, but I am not one to judge your tastes. So here goes:


I have been reading. A lot. Australian poetry, drama, short stories. Gough Whitlam. Tons of fieldwork on Aboriginals. Wikipedia!

My peace lily is miraculously still alive. The one I had in America died instantly. I think it's because I consider it my pet, and spray it with water every day. And talk to it to encourage its growth.
La Trobe Reading Room, State Library


I went on my first round of field trips. I got to go to the State Library of Victoria, which is beautiful because of course it is. The rest of the field trip was kind of lame, and mostly involved the professor trying to make deep insights about sociology and people living in cities. Who cares! (Me, a little).
Ned Kelly's death mask. Fun fact:  True History of the Kelly Gang is why I decided to come to Australia
Paper structures in the museum portion of the library.

Finally, I've been applying to more jobs. I recently missed an interview to be a babysitter because of my horrible skill at taking public transport. But I actually love getting lost and taking buses and trains, so I didn't really get upset. But if I don't get a job soon I will probably cry. It's expensive here!

Which brings me to the exciting part of the post: I'm going to Tasmania! I've decided to forgo Uluru because it's very very expensive, and instead spend time exploring rural Victoria with my Australian tour guide and new bestie Bec. She's offered to take me to her hometown, the Werribee Zoo, and the local cider fest! Hurray! She's also going with me to Tassie (as they affectionately call it) after school ends. The trip is actually pretty cheap since Melbourne is right next to Tasmania. We're going on a day trip to Port Arthur and a "ghost tour" of the supposedly haunted jail there! YAY!
Oh. I also turned 21. Don't worry, Dad. I'm not a flaming alcoholic.




No comments:

Post a Comment